• The first (2006) and fourth (2009) editions of the awards were held in Maryland, and Washington D.C respectively. Every other year, it’s been held in New York City.
• Julius Agwu and Funke Akindele are the only two entertainers who have hosted the show twice in its history. Julius Agwu first hosted in 2007, then hosted again in 2011 alongside Funke Akindele; who in turn hosted the show again in 2012 with AY the Comedian.
• Nigerian rapper M.I aka Mr. Incredible has won the award for ‘Best Rap Act’ three years in a row – 2009, 2010, and 2011.
• Don Jazzy has won ‘Music Producer of the year’ twice – 2007 and 2012
• 2012 the NEA Awards held a fashion show for the first time in its history titled ‘Music on the Catwalk’ as a way of showing support to the growing Nigerian/African fashion industry.
• This year the award categories were expanded to include three categories (East/West/South African Artist or Group of the Year) that recognize and celebrate artists and groups in East, West and Southern Africa; this is part of the organizers mission to celebrate not just Nigerian talent, but African talent as well.
• Nominations are announced in May and the award show is held in September during Labor Day weekend, along with other events leading up to the award show.
• Lastly, the NEA Awards are held in the US in order to provide an opportunity for entertainers to be celebrated, as well as connected with their fan-base (both Africans and Non-Africans) who live in the US, and are not able to attend or even watch the numerous award shows and events that take place back home in Nigeria and Africa.
Vote for your favorite entertainer, and make sure to buy your tickets on the website: http://www.nigeriaentawards.com . Follow NEA Awards on Twitter @NEAAwards and ‘Like’ the Facebook page ‘NEA Awards’
For all press and media related inquires please contact:
Tel: 347 762 0677
The NEA AWARDS is an annual entertainment award show held in the United States, with the sole purpose of celebrating and recognizing the numerous